[lbo-talk] Re: The postmodern prince

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sat Dec 6 11:35:29 PST 2003

> So when you say "self-development should be left up to the
> person", you're celebrating an ideal of personhood that is
> a crucial ideological component of capitalist societies.
>
> Perhaps the master's tools cannot dismantle the master's house?
>
> Miles

Two problems:

First, capitalism requires lots of things that any sane person would hope will survive past capitalism. Just because capitalism relies on something doesn't mean that something is bad. Capitalism relies on people eating and drinking. Should we all go on permanent hunger strike?

Second, capitalism did not invent strong individuality. Mass print literacy did. If you want to revert to old group-heavy identity, we simply disagree. I like strong individualism, and consider it a big historical breakthrough. I consider it to be a necessary step toward maximum humanity and freedom.