[lbo-talk] US, Israel, & New York Times (was Re: Israel Disease Spreds)

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Dec 7 09:13:29 PST 2003

On Sunday, December 7, 2003, at 11:38 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> "The Arab mind," "we really hammered the place," "the fence is here
> for your protection," "a heavy dose of fear and violence," and "we are
> here to help them" all evoke very American ideas of applying
> overwhelming power under the cover of charitable operations. A phrase
> like "the Israeli disease" obscures that.

Yes, and it goes back to the Roman Empire, the Athenians (see Thucydides), the Mongols, the Assyrians, the (fill in the blank with your favorite imperial horde) ...

It's the "Imperial Juggernaut" disease.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)