[lbo-talk] Review of Hitchens and Ali

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Dec 7 12:04:33 PST 2003

DDorkin:

> I dont know what "free association" with
> Answer means and still less what it might prove nor is
> Ali is merely 60's boilerplate.

Well, I didn't strictly mean that the two were organically connected, though in some ways they might be. Still, I found it sad to see Ali with handheld mike standing before a handheld ANSWER banner at some small ANSWER demo where protesters were trying to mimic Islamic militant war cries. He looked ridiculous.

> Do you think that
> Edward Said and Perry Anderson were/are unable to see
> that Ali was boilerplate as well?

That was/is up to them, right? And besides, my take had to do with Ali, not his friends.

DP