[lbo-talk] Re: US, Israel, & New York Times (was Re: Israel Disease Spreds)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Dec 7 20:15:12 PST 2003

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>I almost begin to think that U.S. imperialism exists on LBO-talk
>>only when it comes to discussions of Israel and its discrimination
>>against Palestinians.
>
>It's a good thing you said "almost begin," becuase that's otherwise
>a ludicrous statement. I don't think there were many dissenters from
>the view that the war on Iraq was an instance of U.S. imperialism.
>
>Doug

There is something odd about thinking of only the most blatantly aggressive war and military occupation as "imperialism," though. The US empire had mainly been what is called an informal empire even before the alleged transition from "imperialism" to "empire" that Negri theorizes. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>