[lbo-talk] Re: US, Israel, & New York Times (was Re: Israel Disease Spreds)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Dec 8 00:00:07 PST 2003

>Quoting Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>:
>> How does the relation among the US, Israel, Palestinians, and
>> predominantly Arab states fit into Negri's "Empire"?
>
>I can't speak for them, but my best guess is, they'd argue that US
>neoconservativism is an atavistic, deeply suicidal regression to
>19th century imperialism, instead of the dominant trend -- the
>neo-national exception which proves the multinational rule.
>
>-- DRR

I think that you meant to say that the invasion and occupation of Iraq was more of a neocon ambition than anything else (though, but for the "townhall meeting" fiasco at OSU broadcast by CNN to the world, Clinton would have likely embarked on an aggressive military path, rather than sticking to the economic sanctions and bombings in the "no-fly" zones). With regard to Israel, it's difficult to see any difference between Democrats and Republicans (many Arab and/or Muslim Americans even mistakenly thought that Republicans might be less Zionist than Democrats).

That said, in the minds of a number of LBO-talkers, affection for Negri's "Empire" dovetails affection for Democrats. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>