[lbo-talk] please, ralph, NOOO!!!

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Dec 8 21:15:35 PST 2003

>On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Brad DeLong wrote:
>
>> There's *lots* of blame to go around. But somehow Naderites are
>> extremely unwilling to take their share...
>>

>Of course I'd expect Mr. DeLong to take this position. The problem isn't
>that 50% of the eligible (and as studies show, inherently left) population
>doesn't vote, it's that 1-2% of the population dare to vote for a
>candidate to the left of a typical DLC "new" (but not "new deal")
>Democrat.

Intellectual foul. 30 yard penalty and loss of down.

There are many, many, many problems. Some are impossible to solve. Some are difficult to solve. Some are trivially easy to solve unless some left-wing celebrity wants to be a real asshole.

The problem that is trivially easy to solve (unless some left-wing celebrity wants to be a real asshole) is to prevent the splitting of the left-of-center vote by having more than one left-of-center candidate campaigning.

It's generally better to solve the problems you can easily solve first, and then turn to the more difficult ones.

Unless, of course, your politics is a solipsistic taking of an "oppositional stance" rather than an attempt to make the world a better place.

Brad DeLong