[lbo-talk] Franken on Israel

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 07:37:38 PST 2003

For you Al Franken lovers out there:

Q: Israel, and the West Bank, and the Palestinians? A: Oy.

Q: Maybe not so brief.

A: Well, you know, I'm Jewish. As such, I'm a supporter of Israel. I believe there should be a Jewish state there.

Q: Are you a supporter of the Sharon government?

A: I believe Arafat is responsible for there being a Sharon government. After Barak and Clinton made those offers to Arafat, he should have at least responded. And I think by not responding, that brought Sharon in.

Now, what they're doing with this fence: I can maybe see putting up a fence, I don't like the way they're putting the fence up. In attempting to protect settlement areas, they are extending the fence to incorporate Palestinian territory, cutting through farmland and so on. It's needlessly provocative. This is a long way of saying, "Oy."

<http://online.startribune.com/nuke/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=828>

There was mock photo in the old National Lampoon from the early 70s which showed the Voice of God admonishing the Israelis: "I said Promised Land, not Promised Continent!" Doubt that Franken would've written that.

DP