[lbo-talk] Re: "master's tools" (was po-mo prince)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 9 11:50:56 PST 2003

Michael Dawson -PSU lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:44:15 -0800

>Even in context, it's still a stupid metaphor, at several levels.
>As it applies to capitalism, "the master's tools" is a much wider
>set of things than just propaganda about race and gender and class.
>As it applies to slavery, the metaphor is simply wrong. The
>master's tools are the best and only way of leveling his house.
>It's a failed attempt at poetic rabble-rousing. This gun shoots
>backwards. The master's lies hold us down, but he's got some tools
>and a house that we want to take over and turn toward better
>purposes.

So, you want to use the phrase "the master's tools" to mean a different set of problems than what Audre Lorde addressed in her essay "Age, Race, Class, and Sex: Women Redefining Difference." Does that mean that Lorde's metaphor is "simply wrong"? That's a very odd response. Surely, you can use the phrase to mean whatever you want it to mean, but that doesn't make her different use of it "wrong," does it? -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>