[lbo-talk] Billy Kristol: Dean could beat Bush

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Dec 9 13:43:06 PST 2003

The Repug language is at least in part an effort to underline the charge that Dean is impossibly liberal. They would do it with anybody. The would like to create an air of inevitability around his defeat. For someone like Buchanan, it's an effort at de-marginalizing himself by marginalizing Dean.

Nobody cares what Billy K says about the nomination. Kristol has zero influence on it. Some R's probably would like to run against Dean. If I had to guess, I'd say BK is in his eternal quest to prove he is smarter than everyone else and means what he says. His advice on 'how to beat Dean' is really an effort to steer the campaign and the Administration. They are not too crazy about him, so the column could be read as an effort to simultaneously ingratiate and annoy.

As for changes, I'd say both Powell and the neo-cons could go, if my theory is right that Bush plans to bug out of Iraq next year. Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld are not neo-cons. They merely find them useful for certain purposes. I'd say their use-value is dwindling these days.

mbs

I dont know much about electoral stuff, so excuse me if what I am saying makes no sense. I saw Pat Buchanon interviewed yesterday, and he said that Dean would be the person the Republicans would like to run against; he's the guy they think they can beat. Could then Kristol's remarks just be a way of "supporting" Dean, helping him get the nomination so that the Repugs could be pitted against the candidate they feel they could most easily nail?

Also, if Bush wins, who gets purged from the cabinet, Colin Powell or some of the neocons? One or the other has got to go.

-Thomas --- mike larkin <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Gregory Geboski <greg at mail.unionwebservices.com>
> wrote:The silly football analogy should be a tip-off
> that we're dealing here with either mushy thinking
> or (I think) a cue to a kind of inside joke. My
> guess is Kristol's angling for a White House and/or
> campaign insider job (it's not the first time). But
> I can't imagine this sort of no-shit-Sherlock
> "analysis" will win it for him.
>
> Bush doesn't have to run against Dean. With his
> money, and the right's lock on the media, he can run
> against whatever straw man he and Rove choose to set
> up.
>
> Well, I'm as pessimistic as they come, but remember,
> people wrote off Clinton too. The Democratic base is
> as enraged as it's ever been, and the political
> situation is incredibly volatile. If Dean wins the
> popular vote by a substantial margin, and loses the
> Electoral College, all hell will break loose in this
> country.

===== <<You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals So let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel>>

Bloodhound Gang, "The Bad Touch"