[lbo-talk] Re: arranged marriages (was surveys prove men dumb, women smart)

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Dec 9 23:29:13 PST 2003

How does one separate the reported satisfaction with "arranged marriages" from the fact that this type of marriage preponderates in cultures where women have few or no rights? If I lived in a traditional, patriarchal culture that supported arranged marriages I would be "satisfied" as a woman insofar as my marriage conferred some kind of citizenship and material advantage; I would be "satisfied" as a man insofar as my marriage guaranteed sex, a servant, and legitimate children. I suppose "satisfaction" might also be easier to gain if one did not, from the start, embark upon a search for happiness, but rather was more concerned to create a workable, stable relationship. I can also see how well-intentioned parents with some life-experience could actually improve the odds of selecting compatible mates for their children, but I suspect that the vanity and greed of many could also do just the opposite.

Actually, given a society in which women had real rights -- rights to control reproductive choice, rights to property, rights to work, rights to health-care, rights to an education -- arranged marriages (which would require the woman's free consent) would not be such a bad idea. They would define a marriage as that stable, responsive environment needed to raise children and would define the parents' obligation toward those children. If both partners in such a marriage also had the right to have lovers, you could hardly improve on it. I'm not being bitter or cynical here -- just realistic.

Joanna