[lbo-talk] Frontpage interviews Hitch

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Wed Dec 10 11:42:08 PST 2003

Hitchens said:
> The best of the Iraqi dissident authors, Kanan Makiya,
> whose books everyone simply has to read if they want to
> be part of the argument, is the foremost example.

When I saw Makiya on Frontline (PBS) a couple of months back, I found him craven and delusional, deeply enamored of not only US power but Bush as well. And Chalabi (who Hitch championed) was talking out of his ass, saying he'd create some militia force to stabilize Iraq without the US in no time, if necessary. Makiya may not be dishonest, though Edward Said had a very low opinion of him, but Chalabi is an obvious fraud. The question all this prompts about Hitch has already been asked too many times, but it still depresses me.

Anyone know more about Makiya? When he was on NOW before the war, he sounded like Hitch's ghostwriter.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!