[lbo-talk] Re: Individualism (Pomo Prince)

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 10 13:17:59 PST 2003

Dear List:

Miles writes:

> You're assuming that there are some universally held values that can be applied to arrange all human societies on a scale from good to bad, and I assume human values are contingent and local.

The question I struggle with is what commonalities do human beings have that would cause them to work together? I take the position that the common experience of suffering can lead to communal effort, but is suffering enough? Is it even true?

> I think one of the major sources of social conflict is the conflation of "these are the values we live by in our way
of life" and "these are the universal values all people should live by".

Agreed. Can there ever be universal values? If so, what are they, and if not, how dp we prevent abuse, violence and exploitation?

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister