[lbo-talk] U.S. forces attack union HQ in Iraq

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 10 14:15:41 PST 2003

[anyone heard more about this?]

US Attacks Iraqi Unions' Headquarters U.S. Labor Against War (USLAW) December 9, 2003

Statement of the Iraqi Federation of Workers Trade Unions (IFTU) about the Vicious Attack by Occupation Forces on its Headquarters To: Workers and Iraqi Working Class, Iraqi, Arab and World Public Opinion Supporters of Freedom, Democracy and Human Rights all over the world.

The American occupation forces, using a force of about ten armored cars and tens of soldiers, attacked the temporary headquarters of IFTU (at the headquarters of Transport and Communications Union, in Karkh district, Alawi Al Hilla) in Baghdad) at 10.30 am, Saturday 6/12/2003, and arrested 8 of its leaders and cadres, who were handcuffed and taken away to an unknown destination. The attackers ransacked and destroyed IFTU's possessions, tearing down banners and posters condemning acts of terror, tarnishing the name of IFTU and that of the General Union of Transport Workers (on the building's main front) with black paint and smashing windows glass, without giving any reason or explanation.

The IFTU, as one of the most important organizations of civil society, that includes within its ranks sons of the working class, the builders of the new Iraq, the democratic future Iraq, strongly condemns this unjustified terrorizing act by the occupation forces which targeted trade unionist cadres and leaders who are well-known for their struggle against the hated dictatorship.

While calling for the release of our detained colleagues as soon as possible, and condemn any attempt to launch a new attack on trade union centres, or further arrests of trade union leaders, we stress that the Iraqi working class will not forgive this attack which constitutes a blatant violation of democracy and human rights.

We, therefore, call upon all the forces of goodwill of our people, as well Arab and international trade union organizations, to take a firm stand against this act, and to call for the immediate release of detainees, and compensation for the damages inflicted upon our colleagues and IFTU headquarters as a result of this aggression.

The Executive Bureau Iraqi Federation of Workers Trade Unions (IFTU) 12/6/2003 =============================================== If you would like to write to Secretary Rumsfeld, his address is:

Honorable Donald H. Rumsfeld Secretary of Defense 1000 Defense Pentagon Washington, DC 20301

If you would like to send him e-mail, you are welcome to use this system by pressing the "Ask a Question" tab. http://www.defenselink.mil/faq/comment.html

Contact Secretary of State Colin Powell at -- by email: http://contact-us.state.gov/ask_form_cat/ask_form_secretary.html by phone: (202) 647-7098 Main address: U.S. Department of State 2201 C Street NW Washington, DC 20520 Main Switchboard: 202-647-4000

Public Communication Division: PA/PL, Rm. 2206 U.S.Department of State 2201 C Street NW Washington, D.C.20520 202-647-6575

U.S. Labor Against War (USLAW) www.uslaboragainstwar.org info at uslaboragainstwar.org P.O. Box 153 1718 "M" Street, NW Washington, D.C. 20036