[lbo-talk] Video of U.S. troops killing wounded Iraqi

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 11 09:02:24 PST 2003

Dennis Perrin wrote:

>>War crime or what?
>>
>>http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5365.htm
>>
>>Carl
>>

>Yeah, I saw that. What do you expect? A bunch of young Marines convinced
>that every dead Iraqi is payback for 9/11 are gonna cheer such a brazen act,
>or find it, in the words of one, "awesome." Add the daily attacks on US
>personnel, the fear, the distrust, the disgust, the feeling that you just
>want to survive till you can get rotated stateside, and you have what you
>see above. War crime? Compared to what?

One of the best reasons for avoiding war is this: it puts people into situations where they're forced into some of the most depraved, vicious behavior on record.

I think someone once asked Chomsky about addressing war crimes by individual soliders and units, and Chomsky replied that he tended to focus on war crimes that were committed as part of official policy. The fact that individual soliders and units got out of control was understandable: they're in a place where the laws of morality have been suspended, their lives are at risk, and they're usually scared out of their minds and out for revenge.