[lbo-talk] RE: arranged marriage

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Dec 11 16:16:09 PST 2003

Michael Dawson writes:

"So, you'd force people wanting marriage into the arms of religion? You think detailed behavioral contracts would help, not hurt? You think the divorce revolution is a bad thing? You talk about marriages and families as if they're self-contained and not part of a wider society and its immense problems? You say nothing at all about European-style family support programs? You think gays demanding equal marital rights is a form of cultural pollution?"

Michael, I don't know what thread you're reading, but I don't see how either Woj or I argued for any of the above.

Yes, the divorce revolution IS very bad for kids. Is it worse than bad marriages? Probably not. What I'm arguing is that there's a way to sort out raising children from passionate/sexual relationships ...which hurts no one. Family support programs would be very wonderful. How did I say that gays shouldn't marry?

Joanna (Divorced single mom raising two kids)