[lbo-talk] master's tools/Who wants to pluck flowers?

Arash arash at riseup.net
Thu Dec 11 18:38:29 PST 2003

Oops, I thought it was just a confused gardening metaphor. On Marx's opium quote, my father used to say that to me a lot when I was a kid during any newsreports on religious fundamentalist movements. I would always think, isn't opium "the opium" of the masses? I guess in generalizing from the person to the masses it makes sense, opium is to the person as what religion is to the masses, but I always thought it was a weird way to put it. I didn't understand what it would make the real opium users in relation to the masses, true believers? Would this qualify as a nonsensical metaphor? Maybe I just have a low metaphor appitude.

Arash