[lbo-talk] re Neocons Lose to the Main Enemy

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Dec 13 03:46:45 PST 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Eubulides posted the lyrics to

> Talking Heads - Cool Water

Y'know, one of the best songs about the exploitativeness of work is "Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's Off To Work We Go" from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs -- as sung by Tom Waits, on Hal Wilner's Disney compilation album, _Stay Awake_. Until he sung them, I never realized the words were:

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig from early morn till night We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig up everything in sight We dig up diamonds by the score A thousand rubies, sometimes more But we don't know what we dig 'em for We dig dig dig a-dig dig

It's off to work we go We keep on singing all day long Heigh-ho. Heigh-ho. Got to make our troubles go We keep on singing all day long Heigh-ho. Heigh-ho.

And you ought to hear the orchestration -- like a cross between Weill and Nine Inch Nails. Highly recommended.

Michael