[lbo-talk] 60% of Americans now think that the war in Iraq was a good idea

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Dec 13 11:59:37 PST 2003

<mullah_omar at email.it> wrote:

>From:
>http://www.newzmaniac.com/blog3.html
>

>"Well, it's official: I am now deathly afraid of 60% of Americans. The
>results of the latest USAToday/Gallup poll were released today, and 60% of
>Americans now think that the war in Iraq was a good idea - and the main
>reason given for this rise in their approval for the war was Bush's 2-hour
>layover in Baghdad on Thanksgiving!
>
>Are you serious? Are there really 60% of Americans who are that easy to
>manipulate with a photo-op? It's hard to even write anything about how
>ridiculous an idea that is, because - well - because it's so utterly
>ridiculous!
>
>If this poll is any indication of the state of the union, then Bush is
>already guaranteed a second term in office. Apparently, all he'll have to do
>is pose for a few pictures, such as some with babies, some with the
>war-wounded, some with the handicapped, some with people of various
>religions and ethnicities - you get the picture (no pun intended).
>
>60% of Americans say that it's good enough for them! If that doesn't scare
>you, you're not paying attention.

According to the pollsters, this bounce (which wasn't replicated in other polls) could be explained by the fact that Bush was visibly in the news. These sorts of bounces are fairly common and often decay quickly. One pollster reported on the AAPOR list that he was in the midst of doing a regular pres approval poll when the Okla City bombing happened. Clinton's approval rating went up as the news spread. Sentiments are extremely volatile, esp if loosely held.

Doug