[lbo-talk] re Hot Air Advisory! (Was: Tariq Ali)

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Dec 13 12:38:51 PST 2003

But the poll confirmed what Christian told me - that Iraqis are glad to be of Saddam (the guy at the MR party tried to convince me that SH was popular and had done good things), don't like being occupied by the U.S. and don't at all trust Washington's motives, but are worried about what would happen if the U.S. simply pulled out. It's a complicated and contradictory position, which doesn't fit nicely with the preconceptions of your average metropolitan anti-imperialist

--yes, it is sort of contradictory, but not something that should be too surprising given what has transpired since the 'liberation'. On the other hand, I'm inclined to guess that if the average Iraqi polled were concerned about what would happen if the US pulled out now that they've created a bonafide mess, the key question is just how long will they want the US to have any role in their government as this tragicomedy continues to play itself out.

Re: the cheapshots being taken at Tariq Ali by others in this thread, I'm not sure that Ali would be unable to see these questions in light of their complexity. In fact, if anything, his analysis in Clash of the Fundamentalisms should indicate that he does see quite clearly the complexity of radical politics and occupation.