[lbo-talk] re Hot Air Advisory! (Was: Tariq Ali)

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Dec 13 19:18:29 PST 2003

Dennis wrote,

The current situation is indeed complicated and contradictions are rife. But the stone reality is that the US knocked off a vile regime, and many if not most Iraqis are glad to be rid of it.

--well, yeah, but that changes little actually and is something that a Tariq Ali would readily acknowledge. I've read as much in Monthly Review, the (on this list at least) much maligned Z, even more maligned Chomsky, Medea Benjamen, Waldon Bello, Naomi Klein...actually, I can't think of anyone in the anti-imperialist writing circuit who wouldn't acknowledge this...can you? Still not sure how that changes much in the way of analysis, but that's at least a matter of more serious debate.