[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Re: [BNCPJ-discussion] Phil Ochs songs]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Dec 14 14:12:45 PST 2003

A week ago I at a local meeting I had mentioned Phil Ochs to someone, who had not recognized the name. Accordingly I fwd a number of his songs to the local group's maillist. I did _not_ include the following song because I feared it might be untactful. To my surprise, a liberal in the group with whom I have had friendly arguments immediately sent post copied below.

Carrol

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: [BNCPJ-discussion] Phil Ochs songs Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:26:47 -0600 From: [clipped] Reply-To: BNCPJ-discussion at yahoogroups.com To: BNCPJ-discussion at yahoogroups.com

Carrol passed over my favorite Phil Ochs tune, which I've included below, titled "The War is Over": ----- The War Is Over By Phil Ochs

Silent Soldiers on a silver screen Framed in fantasies and dragged in dream Unpaid actors of the mystery The mad director knows that freedom will not make you free And what's this got to do with me

I declare the war is over

It's over, it's over

Drums are drizzling on a grain of sand Fading rhythms of a fading land Prove your courage in the proud parade Trust your leaders where mistakes are almost never made And they're afraid that I'm afraid

I'm afraid the war is over

It's over, it's over

Angry artists painting angry signs Use their vision just to blind the blind Poisoned players of a grizzly game One is guilty and the other gets the point to blame Pardon me if I refrain

I declare the war is over

It's over, it's over

So do your duty, boys, and join with pride Serve your country in her suicide Find the flags so you can wave goodbye But just before the end even treason might be worth a try This country is to young to die

I declare the war is over

It's over, it's over

One-legged veterans will greet the dawn And they're whistling marches as they mow the lawn And the gargoyles only sit and grieve The gypsy fortune teller told me that we'd been deceived You only are what you believe

I believe the war is over

It's over, it's over -----

Peace, [clipped]