[lbo-talk] RE: high tea

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Dec 14 20:33:33 PST 2003

On Sunday, December 14, 2003, at 09:59 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> I think that's what leaving the toilet seat up is about. It's not that
> women want to have one. But they get infuritated at boys who imply
> they
> ought to. And leaving the seat up seems like a childish way of
> taunting
> them while pretending you're just being objective.

More than that; it's pretending that "there are only us guys here -- the chicks don't exist." (Leaving aside the complicating point that guys sometimes need to have the seat down too, but ...) It's not just a childish taunting -- it's a symbolic holocaust: we're annihilating you.

> I think that's finally the persuasive argument. Men should give in

Why "give in"? What's the struggle that men have to surrender in?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt