RES: [lbo-talk] Lula's party purges leftists in Brazil

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Mon Dec 15 16:01:22 PST 2003

Sympathy and courage to you, Alexandre.

A couple of days ago I caught this ancient Canadian television show, "Take 30" (from the late 60s/early 70s judging by the host's tie and the guest's face). The guest was Germain Greer. When she was asked about the possibility of meaningful/radical social change she said that faith and steadfastness were key.

Don't let the fuckers grind you down, dude.

Todd

-Thank you, but it´s sad to see we are impotent to resist the market fundamentalism onslaught even if the people is tired of it (a recent poll in many LA countries showed that only 20% of people were satisfied with the market economy, in "wonderful" Chile this increased to 25%). We saw that even small attempts to make some shy reforms (like in Venezuela) were fought with massive sabotage (altought Chavez political messianism is to be blamed too). The "left" alternative seems to be insisting in the same reforms that are devastating our country. So, what is to be done??? It´s curious that Lula was a great admirer of Jospin, and when he was punished for his policies, he blamed "the radicals". Now he is playing the same stupid game....alienating his supporters in a desperate attempt to seem reliable to finacial capital. Each improvement in the stocks value is hailed as a great achievemnt even if the economy won´t grow this year and mean wages dropped by 15%!!!! And I voted for those idiots!!