[lbo-talk] lynching [was: Saddam captured]

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Tue Dec 16 07:17:15 PST 2003

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> If I wanted to be pedantic enough I would point out that Mr. Hussein is
>
>being virtually lynched by the US lynching mob - an activity that is an
>integral part of the US history and mentality.

I see. He's being _virtually_ lynched. Is that anything like Clarence Thomas's complaints about his own "virtual lynching?"

I'd like to remind the other guy who got worked up about my comments that I've _said_ that I look forward to Saddam's trial, and that it should _not_ be conducted by the U.S. But the facts of Saddam's viciousness, depravity, and guilt are pretty well-established. Insistence on a trial, and belief in the guilt of the defendant, aren't mutually exclusive. (As I said; we know Hitler and Stalin were guilty of horrific crimes, even though they were never brought to trial.)