[lbo-talk] Query

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Tue Dec 16 08:09:32 PST 2003

kelley wrote:
> It seemed clear to me that you were interested in finding out
> what goes on elsewhere--and I think comparing and getting
> ideas from what others are doing is a great idea.
>
> However, I can also see why the query could have been
> interpreted as a kind of Activist Street Cred Test. Yanno?

What she said. My initial read of the request was "Justify yourself." My anticipation had nothing to do with fear of the Feds. (Sure, they're a problem. But so is paranoia.)

But I responded because otherwise, it is a decent idea.

kelley wrote:
> It also concerns me that there is a kind of Workerist ethos
> among those who do activist work. What I mean is the
> tendency to decry those who don't "get involved" or,
> relatedly, to complain about those who "merely" engage in
> activism on campus and don't sully themselves in the "real"
> world.

*Exactly*.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!