[lbo-talk] advising Dean

JW Mason j.w.mason at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 09:03:21 PST 2003

Jim Westrich wrote:

> I hate to break up these little projection fantasies but . . .
>
> * Jeffrey Sachs is Professor of Economics and Director of the Earth
> Institute at Columbia University and has served as an advisor to many
> developing nations.

I'm not quite sure whose projection fantasises are being broken up here.

But, Sachs' politics have evolved a good deal since his shock therapy days. He has written some very forceful stuff arguing that growth in many poor countries requires a drastic reduction in external debt, and if creditors won't negotiate, heavily indebted countrties should simply default. Dean could do worse....

Josh