[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali's piece at Counterpunch

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 11:36:57 PST 2003

Brian Siano:

> And the U.S. is certainly complicit in creating this
> monster-- so one could argue that the U.S. has the responsibility of
> removing him from power.

And some supporters of the invasion, like Hitchens and Sullivan, have argued that precise point, even though it's an ahistorical one. The US also had a hand in helping Turkey massacre Kurds, but where are the calls for an invasion of Turkey? And if we owe the Iraqis so much that we must invade and occupy their country to set things right, then what do we owe the Palestinians? I would think as much if not more.

This invasion had nothing to do with setting things right on humanitarian grounds, but rather on imperial and geopolitical ones.

DP