[lbo-talk] Re: US anti-imperialists mourning saddam...Really? [ framing patriotism]

Michael Catolico mcatolico at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 16 11:40:10 PST 2003

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> *** QUOTE ***
><snip>
> She felt terrible. As an American--someone who genuinely loves this
>country--she was horrified at her own reaction, embarrassed.
> *** END QUOTE ***
> Does it really make sense to describe an American who hopes for her
>country's defeat at the hands of terrorists and tyrants as "someone who
>genuinely loves this country"? Doesn't patriotism have to mean something?

framing language is one of the mechanisms of power. if we define patriotism as love or allegiance to one's nation (a geo-political entity), this can be easily manipulated into supporting any program or policy of those that rule. without speaking for the woman quoted in the article, it is possible that she is working from a different set of definitions. if you recarve the world by other criteria - say class instead of nationhood - her anger is a coherent response: all tyranny and terror must stop; a "patriotic American" is someone who recognizes the source of tyranny and works to eradicate it.

micahel catolico