[lbo-talk] lynching [was: Saddam captured]

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 05:02:29 PST 2003

-
> From Woj:

>Poland, especially the eastern part (an equivalent of the US South) has
>a history of pogroms, no doubt, but the prevailing mentality is
>"catching up with the West" rather than "leading the world."

I think things were somewhat more ambiguous in Russia in the Soviet era (and earlier, and today), which does have a history of manifest-destiny type of thinking. Actually I think that Russian and U.S. culture are rather similar on this point, maybe due to similarities in the histories of the countries -- big land empires formed through settlement of (relatively) unoccupied territory. The Russians sure treated the natives a lot more nicely than the Americans did, though! (Actually, Russia has historically been a very ethnically tolerant country, with the exception of 19th-century anti-Semitism, and that was medieval religious hatred, not ethnic.)

_________________________________________________________________ Make your home warm and cozy this winter with tips from MSN House & Home. http://special.msn.com/home/warmhome.armx