[lbo-talk] A Show Trial (was Tariq Ali's piece at Counterpunch)

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Wed Dec 17 09:15:53 PST 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
>> But there's nothing to prevent the American people from demanding it,
>> outside of our own apathy and disinterest.
>
> Activists can certainly organize a mock war tribunal that tries both
> Saddam Hussein and US politicians (both Republican and Democratic),
> staged simultaneously as whatever trial the US government may bring
> Hussein to -- perhaps next June? Activists have plenty of time to
> prepare for a mock show trial to fight a real show trial. The idea
> may be also used for protests at the Democratic (July 26-29, 2004,
> Boston, <http://maineindymedia.org/newswire/display/554/index.php>)
> and Republican National Conventions (August 30-September 2, NYC, a
> protest planned on Sunday, August 29, etc.

That's one project to work on, and it's certainly worthwhile. The main point, IMHO, is that the American public must demand that the U.S. follow through with bringing Saddam to justice. We should be demanding (through the usual methods, like public protest, barraging Congresscritters with letters, whatever) that Saddam's trial be conducted by the Iraqi government without U.S. interference, that the U.S. government cooperate fully with this crucial step of the reconstruction of Iraq, and that if Iraq requires prosecution of American citizens (like, gosh, I dunno, Donald Rumsfeld or Henry Kissinger), the U.S. should cooperate on this point as well.