[lbo-talk] re A Show Trial (was Tariq Ali's piece at Counterpunch)

Stephen Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 17 11:55:12 PST 2003

That's one project to work on, and it's certainly worthwhile. The main point, IMHO, is that the American public must demand that the U.S. follow through with bringing Saddam to justice. We should be demanding (through the usual methods, like public protest, barraging Congresscritters with letters, whatever) that Saddam's trial be conducted by the Iraqi government without U.S. interference, that the U.S. government cooperate fully with this crucial step of the reconstruction of Iraq, and that if Iraq requires prosecution of American citizens (like, gosh, I dunno, Donald Rumsfeld or Henry Kissinger), the U.S. should cooperate on this point as well.

--one small problem...the gov't of Iraq answers directly to a foreign master....