[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali's piece at Counterpunch

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Dec 17 13:05:24 PST 2003

> Brian Siano wrote:
>
> >So tell me, Doug: _Why_ do you publish a newsletter when challenging
> >capitalism may be equally futile?
>
> Sometimes I wonder, but mainly because I hope to inform and energize
> the choir, and maybe win a few converts. It's a long, and largely
> thankless, process.
>
> Doug

I don't think any of this is futile or thankless. Far from it.

Look at the wealth of anti-occupation info that's out on the Web. Not all of it is good (some of it is horrible), but a lot of it is very informative and well thought out, and this has inspired hysterical attacks from the empire lovers (Yardley's piece being the most recent). They dismiss us while they warn others of us. They feign boredom and bemusement but between the lines there's real concern. That's progress, and as the occupation drags on, domestic opposition will spread.

I understand the gloom & doom, and sometimes share it. But a swing through the Web will show you that we're not alone.

DP