[lbo-talk] LBO Trashed at FrontPage!

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Dec 17 13:16:17 PST 2003

Subject: [lbo-talk] LBO Trashed at FrontPage!

Greg Yardley is lurking and doesn't like what he sees: ---------------

I'm sure that's why K-Lo is here as well.

Periodically there is a wave of articles attesting to the seditious or otherwise repulsive character of "the left," fortified by assorted quotes (often taken out of context, and often by anonymous authors).

It hardly matters what you say. I wrote an item saying the capture helped the occupation, though I do not support occupation, and that didn't stop people from saying I had demeaned the event, at the same time lefts told me I had gilded the lily.

For all we know, the anonymous quotes in places like Democratic Underground or Indymedia are put there by right-wingers in the first place.

Meanwhile, right-wing writers who express the same doubts (Max Boot, Eliot Cohen, and Lawrence Kaplan, to name three) get a free pass.

There is a level of political discourse populated by some on both left and right that is founded on the lowest, most mediocre foundation of substance, but which seems also to have the most resonance in the public debate. Hence it tends to suck anyone in for the sake of getting some message out. And of course you are tempted to become like that which you oppose, fighting bullshit with bullshit. At the same time, it is such a thundering bore to deal with this sort of thing. It makes politics much more tedious than it ought to be.

mbs