[lbo-talk] Hi Tea

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Wed Dec 17 21:44:11 PST 2003

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of kelley at pulpculture.org

>Sounds like a good pitch for a television serial.

ooooo! good idear! i could make millions off my dad's story! i learned when i was an adult that, when things were really bad financially, he would bet people that he'd eat a bar glass. that might not go over too well, eh?

** That's odd... that happens to be an often run commercial right now: "And then I ate the bowl!" Sounds promising though. Man with a heart of gold in a ruthless and uncaring world finds solace in uncontrollable gambling habit... wait a second, isn't that the PR work for foreign policy decisions?

>I'm partial to Texas Hold'em myself.
>(I'm a terrible player)

are you watching the exceedingly boring Celebrity Poker?

** Heh. Nope (and I'm glad that I've never heard of it!). I did catch the World Champion Poker Series from Vegas. That was fun. The guy that won... Chris Moneymaker... I wasn't cheering for him but... no one I've ever voted for has ever won so I wasn't surprised.

> What think you of Queer Eye? I enjoy QE just for gits and shiggles.
Initially, in the previews, I saw it as one of those "women as mediator of relations between men." That is, women are the reason for straight guys to listen to queer guys. straight guys, of course, wouldn't be bothered to listen to women on their own.

** I catch it occassionally but I don't set my schedule by it. I usualy get about 55 minutes of laughter out of it... I love how fast all the straight guys shave - it's like speeding toward a red light riding on a foot of polished ice - not very good for anyone.

> When I watched the show, I found it really annoying that these guys are
sooooooo het fantasy. What is really becoming grating is the extent to which they seem impelled to assure everyone that they, too, like big racks. It's not that I think that being queer can only mean an either/or: either you find ONLY men attractive or you find ONLY women attractive. Rather--and it's hard to put my finger on--but I just find the oooo la laing over women's tits really forced, just as the Queer Eye drinking games like to point out the way that the mention of Benjamin Moore paints is really forced.

http://gregmce.livejournal.com/114385.html (there are more variations out there)

** Awesome. There's a couple good drinking games for Iron Chef too... and I found some for the film Seven Samurai which I screened for my Evil class this past semester. And, yes, amen to the het fantasy. When are we all going to realise that the defining characteristic of male fantasies (other than their explicit violence) is boredom. I guess Sade was on to something.

** Personal story: I was in one of those huge buildings the other day... what are they called? - some sort of "super" store. There was a guy and a gal shopping in the candle section... and he turned to his gal-friend and said, "The fag on TV said that less is better, so we should go for the lightly scented candles." I guess this is progress? - 10 years ago that phrase would likely have been worded a bit differently and wouldn't have been my daily moment of zen.

ken