[lbo-talk] Re: Show Trials

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Thu Dec 18 07:14:13 PST 2003

At 9:21 AM -0500 18/12/03, Brian Siano wrote:

>But bringing Saddam to trial is far better than the alternatives
>(like his escaping to a well-guarded resort in some other country,

Like the Shah of Iran you mean? You are right in a way, but there's a nagging concern about the arbitraryness of it all. Its gratifying to see the odd dictator face retribution I suppose, but it would be far better to see them face justice. And it isn't justice if its entirely arbitrary (subject to US political whim) which bloodsoaked monsters are eligible for a peaceful and secure retirement in the US and which get a show trial and imprisonment or execution.

Justice has to be impartial. This clearly isn't, it is a highly selective application of criminal sanctions. There can be no satisfaction or security for anyone in that.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas