[lbo-talk] Gringo Stalingrad [was: Global Warming 'Virtually Certain' Says Amer.Geophysical Union]

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 18 07:53:40 PST 2003

Wojtek wrote:

So I am hoping that the Gringos, triumphant as they are today, will eventually meet their Stalingrad, perhaps even in my life time.

=========================

You needn't be an alarmist, a fatalist or a too-eager fan of dystopian fiction to acknowledge that all civilizations eventually change radically, fade away or simply collapse.

There is no reason to believe that we'll be any exception.

It's important to remember however, that even those of us who are opposed depend upon the flawed life support system capitalism and its co-phenomena form.

This means that even if the gringos meet their comeuppance, perhaps at the *hands* of a super-energized climate system which reveals how vulnerable we are (was it Aeschylus or Shakespeare who wrote we are *playthings of the gods*?), the rest of us will be sharing their unhappy fate.

Everyone knows it, somewhere within their heart, even if they don't say it.

I believe this to be a cause for mourning and not joy; the collapse of whatever the present system is (choose your label - global capital, distributed imperium, corporatism, etc) will be the occasion for much pain, confusion and despair.

There is no guarantee that what comes next will be an improvement.

This is not a popular argument because it questions the inevitability of progress, a concept progressives, liberals and conservatives (particularly in the U.S.) share in common.

The possibility of genuine global catastrophe must be seriously considered - if only as a spur to relentless positive action.

DRM