[lbo-talk] Re: Show Trials

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 08:01:14 PST 2003

Brian Siano:

> There is something odd about some of this discussion. It's as if many
> people believe that Saddam's trial isn't "just" if American officials
> aren't indicted along with him. That's kind of a high standard for
> justice, given the likelihood of the indictments coming through. It'd be
> interesting to see how far one might go with punishing Saddam's
> benefactors. We talk about dragging U.S. officials into the dock... but
> haven't other countries supplied him with weapons, chemicals, and other
> support? What about them?

Speaking personally, I'm an American, so my responsibility lies with those Americans who used my tax dollars to help Saddam in his crimes. I mean, I could call for French, Russian and Arab co-conspirators to be punished as well, and they should be, but I have little sway over that.

And to be honest, I have little sway over those who rule me. But I live here and pay taxes here, so the least I can do is advocate that those who used my money for murder and repression be charged alongside Saddam.

I've seen the argument by those who supported the invasion that this cancels our original sin -- that our "debt" has been paid. I reject this. If I give a known mass murderer the room and means to kill, then later decide to kill him because we had a falling out, does that exonerate me from my earlier crime? "Never mind about that mass grave that I helped to dig in the backyard -- look, I nailed the guy myself!" I doubt that would fly in most courtrooms.

DP