[lbo-talk] RE: lynching

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Dec 18 09:42:45 PST 2003

Woj writes:

"By projecting its own sins on the "second class Europeans" (the Russian, the Poles, the Ukrainians, etc.), Western Europeans and the US-ers try to come out with "clean hands." "

In the case of vampires, I'm with you and I urge everyone to read Stoker's "Dracula" because the book is a much more transparent case of projection than the Hollywood mythology that followed. I find it fascinating, in any case, that just at the moment when the Brits were about to suck some Romanian blood (oil), they discovered that a Romanian "vampire" threatened the lifeblood of its British subjects and the chastity of its women.

But, in the case of east european anti-semitisim, hmmmmm. I'd be glad to find out I'm wrong, but from what I understand, the death camps could not have happened without local help and a lot of it....though I grant that the death camps were a German idea and not a east european idea.

Joanna