[lbo-talk] RE: lynching

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 08:34:28 PST 2003

I don't have the evidence at my fingertips, but I have seen surveys showing astounding levels of antisemitism in Poland -- a country where there are, as I say, a lmost no Jews any more. And there are anecdotal things like the clowns who wanted to build a nightclub on the site of the railhead to Auschwitz a few years ago.

As to W's defense of the prewar Poles, ptooey. I actually didn't say the Poles were the worst -- I said the Romanians and the Lithuianians were. (BTw, I should mention that there was a popular Yiddish song, Romanie, Romanie, about the glories of the old country. Course there area lot of sentimental Irish songsa bout the auld sod sung by desecendents of refugees from the potato famine.) The Ukranains were terrible too, but there the Jews were murdered by the Einsatzgruppen rather than in camps. The camps were build in Poland because there a lot of Jews there, so it was less trouble to transport them, and because the Poles were either in general hostile orindifferent to their fate.

As to assimilation. some upper class Jews aspired to be Poles. Most Jews in Poland were poor people who lived in shtetls. The Poles didn't consider them Poles, but zhidy, Yids, and they didn't consider themselves Poles but Jews. German Jews, who looked down on Polish Jews as low class, dirty, unenlightened religious fanatics, rather embarassing, did aspire pretty consistently to assimilation.

And W, don't give me this identity Politics crap, "I grew up there, this is my culture." Alas, it's my heritage and culture too. That's why I'm here. And why I have no living relatives any more in Poland.