[lbo-talk] Homeland Sec Protects Us From Journalist

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 10:19:56 PST 2003

This article describes, perhaps without intending to, the *Homeland Security* apparatus' twin weaknesses:

1.) Despite stated intentions to protect us against terrorists its used as a sort of Ministry of Harassment. This is the civil liberties problem.

2.) Considering its consuming harassment function, it seems unlikely the agency is actually useful as part of a counter-terrorist system. This is the effectiveness problem.

When you remove state power, it all seems pretty tawdry, pathetic and small minded really.

DRM

=============================

from -

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/printme.php?eid=49609

Coffee, Tea or Handcuffs? An Australian journalist gets a taste of Department of Homeland Security hospitality by Steven Mikulan

Sue Smethurst enjoys traveling. “It’s one of the things about my job that I absolutely love,” says the 30-year-old Australian, who works as an associate editor for the women’s magazine New Idea. She doesn’t even mind flying. “It’s one of the great pleasures of the world to be able to turn off your cell phone and be where no one can annoy you.”

But when her Qantas flight from Melbourne, Australia, touched down at LAX around 8 a.m. on Friday, November 14, Smethurst found herself nightmarishly annoyed — by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Smethurst was supposed to continue to New York and on Monday interview singer Olivia Newton-John. Smethurst had honeymooned in Manhattan last year and was looking forward to a long, free weekend “having a good walk through Central Park, getting a decent bowl of chicken soup and going Christmas shopping — all those gorgeous New York things.” Better still, her six-hour layover in L.A. would allow her to have lunch with her American literary agent.

“I had a room booked at the Airport Hilton,

where I was going to my leave bags, shower and get a cup of coffee.”

But first she had to clear LAX’s immigration check-in, which she reached after 20 minutes in line. An officer from the DHS’s newly minted Customs and Border Protection (CBP) bureau studied the traveler’s declaration form Smethurst had filled out on the plane.

“Oh, you’re a journalist,” he noted. “What are you here for?”

“I’m interviewing Olivia Newton-John,” Smethurst replied.

“That’s nice,” the official said, impressed. “What’s the article about?”

“Breast cancer.”

When Smethurst tells me this, she pauses and adds, “I thought that last question was a little odd, but figured everything’s different now in America and it was fine.” What she didn’t know was that her assignment and travel plans, along with the chicken soup and stroll through Central Park, had been terminated the moment she confirmed she was a journalist. Fourteen hours later, she was escorted by three armed guards onto the 11 p.m. Qantas flight home.

[...]

full at -

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/printme.php?eid=49609