[lbo-talk] Homeland Sec Protects Us From Journalist

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Dec 19 13:33:28 PST 2003

>Something similar happened to six French journalists last May when they
arrived in Los Angeles to cover a video game trade show without proper documentation. Sounds like something from the bad old days in Soviet Russia ...

WS: Not necessarily, but I do not think it is a deliberate policy, just a bunch of INS assholes on a power trip. When I was applying for the US citizenship, I refused to swear that I would serve in the US Army on the grounds of being a conscientious objector. This was a moot point, since there was no draft at that time, and even if there had been, I was too old anyway, and I had worked for the US Army as a civilian employee, but I though that the INS asshole who was processing my claim would jump out of his skin - he started calling me un-American and doubting that I really wanted the citizenship. When I pointed to him that under the US law I had to right to refuse military service, he got pissed even more.

TO make the long story short, the assholes did not process my application for about two years (judging by the speed my ex got hers processed), so I asked Congressman Panetta for help. They brushed him off as well by ignoring his requests for information, which got him pissed off. So eventually I got my papers processes with much fuss and pissy attitudes.

The point is, however, that such behavior was not an official US policy - just a closet fascist going on a power trip because he thought he could get away with it.

Wojtek