[lbo-talk] Denver Greens Say No to Nader

Pinkham, Kelly D pinkhamk at umkc.edu
Fri Dec 19 23:38:51 PST 2003

December 18, 2003

Denver Greens Say No to Nader

A BUZZFLASH READER COMMENTARY by Dave Chandler

Denver - In 2000, the Green Party nominated Ralph Nader to be its candidate for president at the national convention held in Denver, Colorado.

On December 16, 2003, at the regular monthly business meeting of the Denver Greens, the following resolution was approved by consensus:

"A sense of the Denver Greens Resolution: At this time, we do NOT support a Ralph Nader, Green Party candidacy for president."

The discussion revolved around one major argument: the stakes are too high for the future of our nation for the 2004 vote to even conceivably be split between the Democrat and Nader. It was pointed out that a Nader, Green Party candidacy would bring derision and scorn upon the party, making building and growing perhaps impossible. By not running a "celebrity candidate", however, if the Democrats still cannot defeat Bush, then they cannot scapegoat us, and we will legitimately be able to contend that now Greens claim the progressive mantle in American politics.

We included the condition "at this time" just in case the improbable happens and the Democrats nominate a completely unacceptable candidate. Sen. Lieberman was the most mentioned person in this regard. But the Democratic nominee should be pretty well identified by the end of March next year, well in advance of the Green Party National Convention, if we must change our strategy.

There was discussion about what kind of presidential election strategy the national Green Party should pursue, but we thought a resolution and debate on that matter could be done at a later date.

Dave Chandler

Publisher/Editor - www.Earthside.com http://www.earthside.com/ 2003 Green Party Candidate for Colorado 7th Congressional District

Article URL: <http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/12/con03377.html> http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/03/12/con03377.html