[lbo-talk] Re: barbarian of the moment

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Dec 21 08:24:02 PST 2003

On Saturday, December 20, 2003, at 05:31 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Arash wrote:
>
>> Doug, I've seen you make this point before, but I don't really know
>> what you
>> think Chomsky isn't acknowledging about "the active desire not to
>> know."
>
> We've been through this a million times before, but I'll say it
> briefly one more time. It's not enough to get "facts" out there. Many
> Americans just don't want to hear or know about the nasty things our
> government does.

There are also, I'm sorry to say, not a few Americans who absolutely revel in these nasty things. It used to be "communists" -- "the only good Red is a dead Red" -- and now it's "towelheads."

Probably classifiable under the psychiatric heading of "sadism."

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Belinda: Ay, but you know we must return good for evil. Lady Brute: That may be a mistake in the translation.

-- Sir John Vanbrugh: The Provok’d Wife (1697), I.i.