[lbo-talk] Alternative polls (and a warning on polls) on retropoll.org

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Dec 21 08:24:14 PST 2003

On Saturday, December 20, 2003, at 07:23 PM, Michael Pugliese wrote:

> The one thing I didn't see were a lot of "radical" people, and that
> mystifies me somewhat. Where were the "radical" Houstonians? I
> attended a number of anti-war vigils this past spring and summer, and
> I recognized few faces last night from those events, despite
> Kucinich's resolute anti-war stance. I'm also on a number of mailing
> lists for local political and artistic groups, and yet I've heard
> absolutely nothing about the guy in those forums.

Probably because, like most members of this list, they are either turned off on electoral politics altogether, or are sophisticated enough to realize, like Doug, that he doesn't have a chance, so why bother? The only people who are actually attracted to him are, ironically, ordinary folks who just happen to like what they are hearing from him. That's basically the point he makes in the New York Times Magazine story about him that appears today. Or at least it appears that he is trying to make that point, if you can penetrate through the fog of "sophistication" and "I can't believe I'm hearing him say all this nutty stuff" that the author of the story generates between him and his subject. Taking this story together with the one a couple of weeks ago about what a great dating service the Dean campaign provides, I'm about to conclude that the editor of the Magazine has taken on ridiculing left Democrats as one of his chief missions in life, at least at the present juncture.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax