[lbo-talk] Re: barbarian of the moment

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Dec 21 19:51:00 PST 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Carrol Cox wrote:

> So? Since when does the triumph or at least flourishing of a political
> principle depend on convincing everyone? This concern with those who
> 'we' will never reach and shouldn't waste time trying to reach really
> baffles me.
>
> Carrol

I vaguely remember a historian's claim that about 1/3 of the American colonists in the mid 1700s supported the revo, 1/3 were loyal to G III, and 1/3 were undecided/ambivalent. Don't know if this is accurate, but I think Carrol has a good point: political change is not simply a product of universal consensus.

Miles