[lbo-talk] RE: Barbarian of the moment

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Dec 22 08:49:21 PST 2003

Yoshie quotes Dennett who writes: "The time has come for us brights to come out of the closet. What is a

bright? A bright is a person with a naturalist as opposed to a supernaturalist world view. We brights don't believe in ghosts or elves or the Easter Bunny - or God. We disagree about many things, and hold a variety of views about morality, politics and the meaning of life, but we share a disbelief in black magic - and life after death."

This is silly but fairly representative of the "aetheist" position...which claims a tradition of "inquiry" stretching back to the enlightenment, but then inquires into nothing. God is not a matter of "belief." God is not a matter of life after death. God is not a belief in black magic.

I regret using the word "God" -- but must use it at least as a placeholder.

Joanna