[lbo-talk] Re: Barbarian of the moment

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Dec 22 18:08:50 PST 2003

On Monday, December 22, 2003, at 06:31 AM, Chris Doss wrote:

> Has this changed in the last few years? Secular me didn't feel that
> way when I lived there, except when I was one of a very few
> non-Catholic students in phil PhD program. Thinking back on, it might
> me stand out and probably gave me some dark charisma, maybe.

I think in certain circumstances, if one is surrounded by vocal religionists who insist on one's agreeing with them, or if a very sensitive atheist spends a lot of time brooding about how put-down she/he feels by frequently encountering religious symbols, and so on, one might get to feeling very oppressed as an atheist. But most atheists, secularists, etc., seem fairly cheerful about their lot, as far as my experience goes (and quite a lot of the people I know, in fact most of them, are atheists/secularists).

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Belinda: Ay, but you know we must return good for evil. Lady Brute: That may be a mistake in the translation.

-- Sir John Vanbrugh: The Provok’d Wife (1697), I.i.