[lbo-talk] Atheism

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 22 19:59:26 PST 2003

As it happens I just came across this on a right wing news site:

"Karl Marx said, 'My object in life is to dethrone God and destroy capitalism.' This is the driving force behind the secularization of American culture and the push for diversity. The most destructive force in human history (responsible for up to 200 million deaths and incalculable suffering) is behind the anti-Christian bigotry plaguing our nation. Although 84% of the population of the United States is self-identified as Christian (CNN/Gallup 2002), Christmas is being banned from the American lexicon." [Judson Cox, ERASING CHRISTIANITY Dec 23, 2003, 00:45 http://michnews.com/artman/publish/article_2059.shtml ]

Of course --- and leaving aside the rest of this article --- Marx never said ''My object in life is to dethrone God and destroy capitalism", although this unreferenced "quote" appears to have wide circulation on the web. Here is the closest thing he said, which (obviously) needs to be read in the context of Marx discussing the Prussian government prosecuting some communists in Cologne for treason, during the early 1850s.

"Has anyone ever accused the early Christians of aiming at the overthrow of some obscure Roman prefect? The Prussian political philosophers from Leibniz to Hegel have laboured to dethrone God, and if I dethrone God I also dethrone the king who reigns by the grace of God. But has anyone ever prosecuted them for lèse-majesté against the house of Hohenzollern?"

(Karl Marx, 1853, "Revelations Concerning the Trial of Communists in Cologne" http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1853/revelations/ch01.htm)

A happy commodity season to all of you,

Grant.