[lbo-talk] Re: we are (I am?) the world.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 23 08:08:39 PST 2003

frank scott wrote:

>"...Americans could now get all the information they need on the Net.
>They don't have to depend on the US media..."
>
>how many americans? and does that figure come from a poll, wishful
>thinking, or both?
>
>just because many people I know are online doesn't mean "Americans" are
>all online...
>
>do the word "parochial" ring a bell?

According to the Census Bureau, about 50% of American households had computers in 2000, and about 40% used the Internet <http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2001/cb01-147.html>. Private surveys estimate that internet penetration is now around 60% (try googling "percentage Americans using internet"). So it's not everyone, but it's not a privileged minority anymore either. Only about 40% of Americans read a newspaper every day.

Doug