[lbo-talk] RE: Religion

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 23 09:05:59 PST 2003

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Chris Doss

I add: BTW is there anybody out there (e.g. Justin) who can briefly explain Kurt Godel's ontological argument for the existence of God to me in? I studied foo-foo Continental and Ancient Phil and can't handle the modal logic. Stick a modal operator in there and I am lost.

I was really blown away to discover relatively recently that Godel was a mystic. I think there is a point at which it is very easy for positivistic/nominalistic approaches to pass over into mysticism (Hume inspiring Schleirmacher, Wittgenstein).

** "Newton prayed daily for the end of the world which he believed would herald the Second Coming of Christ. This would usher in the 1000 year rule of the Saints and Newton believed he would then take his place as Chief Saint." – The Dark Heretic

Apparently Newton pegged the end of world circa 2060 and was obsessed with figuring out when the second coming would take place...

ken